Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Marathon: Accomplished

I did it. I ran the marathon. I ran it under 6 hours, which was what I needed to do to get my finisher medal. It was the Bataan Death March to the finish for the last 5 or 6 miles. I felt AWFUL. Both my legs were hurting, and I'd been battling asthma periodically since mile 9. God. It was terrible. But I finished it. Thank you Mom. I would not have finished but for her. If you don't know my mom, you don't know how awesome she is, but she held my hand and practically dragged me to the finish line. I could not have done it without her.

I did not get a finisher t-shirt. They were out. But I just read on the website that more shirts have been ordered, so hopefully soon I will have my own Hurricane Point survivor shirt.

I am recovering now. Sleep, vitamins, no exercise for a few days besides walking the beastie dog. In a week or so, I'll go back to running, very easily, in an attempt to figure out what is wrong with my legs. If that is successful, I may enter a short race this summer, or maybe a half in the fall. But right now my goal is to heal and to rest. After those things have been accomplished, I'll consider something else.

1 comment:

Harmless Error said...

Congratulations. Like you said, I just want to finish without being injured or near death. I know it will be rough, but I guess it's all about pushing yourself.