Wednesday, September 16, 2009

One month and counting

Its been a month or so since I went gluten-free and its surprising how quickly its become almost automatic for me. Don't get me wrong, I still miss those foods, but I've found substitutes for some, and I've generally accepted life without the others. Mostly because 5 minutes of food pleasure = a day or more of tummy issues is not worth it. For example, last week I was in San Diego for a conference, and I planned ahead, going to the store for some fruit and yogurt and cheese for breakfast (along with some almond butter I brought with me). But Saturday night we went out for Mexican food and I had like 1/4 of a (fresh, homemade) flour tortilla. By Sunday morning I was jonesing for something sweet and floury for breakfast. I tried to say no, I did, but after my omelet with potatoes and bacon I still wanted something. So I had a blueberry muffin. BIG MISTAKE. Unhappy tummy the next day.

Regardless, I keep trucking along. I loaded up on potatoes today, so I can eat baked potatos as a main course. Have lots of rice around too.

I'm going to try running again. I had acupuncture several times earlier this summer, and I've been swimming and strength training, and my leg feels pretty good. So tomorrow I'm going to try 10 minutes of intervals. I got some new running shoes today (I tried running for a 1-2 minutes earlier this week and I could feel the treadmill through my shoes - BAD), hopefully the support of new shoes will make the process easier. Wish me luck.

No comments: