Sunday, July 08, 2007

Improvement

First off, Gramps is better than I feared. While he started out cranky yesterday, he improved as the day went on. We had a nice day. Well ok he slept mostly, and I did some yard work, and read a book and took a nap. Worked for me!

Today I went to church. Still not sure what to do on that front. The crowd was very small, but they said that was about half the regular crowd. The bishop elect is a woman, and since its the cathedral, she'd be there on a regular basis. However she was not there yet. There were lots of children, though, which I guess is a good sign. There was a full choir and organ, which I liked. I guess I'll keep going for a while, and see if the crowd picks up in the fall. The Presbyterians a couple weeks ago were friendlier but I could not stand the pastor or the organization of the service (sermon at the end).

I also went to Trader Joes for food, and got myself a free reusable grocery bag, so now I have two such bags! It's the little things in life, right?

So far today I have vaccumed every room except the hallway, mopped the kitchen, aired up the tires on my bike, and have dumped all the laundry into the laundry hamper (off the floor, that's progress).

June's budget did not go that well, but upon closer inspection I was short over half a paycheck last month, so this month is the first month I'll get paid the full amount, and that should make the budget a little easier. However, I have absolutely got to pay attention to my food and dining expenses. I could save a fortune if I just brought my lunch every day. So that's my goal this month - eat one lunch out a week that I pay for, and when I go out make healthy choices.

Lately I have been feeling very disillusioned with the high cost of living here. I expected it to be high, but not quite this bad. Its just hard since everyone I work with has two incomes to help pay the bills, and they don't really realize what a difference that makes. And of course, absent my income doubling in the next year, I don't expect I'll be in the market for a house anytime soon. It really does require two excellent incomes to buy here, since the bottom of the market is $500,000. I was not particularly bothered by the prospect of not owning something until recently. I just have to remind myself not only is it cheaper to rent by like half, I get out of all the negatives of homeownership like yard work, fixing things yourself, etc.

1 comment:

Janet said...

The Bay Area costs a lot but it's also because you're paying for great weather, culture, diversity and opportunity though I'm sure that is debatable.

If you keep bringing in your own grocery bags eventually you'll win free groceries. That's what they tell me at TJ's. I bring my own books all the time except for one occasion. I think my luck has to turn around sometime.

My sister and I talked about buying a place in a few years but the thought of having to do yardwork, maintenance and other things makes me less inclined to save for a home. I think it's my lazy nature kicking in. When I visit my parents I'm always doing some kind of house work either mowing the lawn, pulling weeds or cleaning the kitchen.