Friday, June 26, 2009

Frustration

I feel stalled out. In every part of my life. Seriously.

Weight Loss
The opposite of weight loss has occured over the past 6 months. It's mind bogglingly frustrating to actually exercise and pay attention and not lose. So what happens? You stop paying attention and gain weight. But when I do it right, nothing happens. I'm seriously about to give up and just shell out for new clothes. Even though I hate how my body looks. I'm running out of energy to keep fighting it.

Job
Completely stalled. I am unhappy with my workload. It's too much, and not rewarding at all most of the time. I get basically 0 support because I don't do bankruptcy. My billable hours were increased this year, but so was the amount of time devoted to non-billable activities. And for some reason, literally all of the insane clients are assigned to me. I spend countless hours each week dealing with crazy of some extreme variety or another. And there is no willingness on the management's part, that I can see, to actually trim the family law caseload to reflect this new found focus on family law.

Oh and did I mention that for the past month, literally half the attorneys have not worked on Fridays so they can go to conferences or retirement parties or whatever, leaving me to do the work of several people. Today I did...other people's work most of the day. Those people even had the nerve to call me and make sure it was getting done. Apparently, their work matters more than mine.

So I'm starting to look for a new job. Somewhere else and in some other field. I'm tired of family law anyways. The clients are too crazy for me. My mental health needs a break.

Is there anything else to feel stalled in?
Oh the rest of my life. I have approximately 2 friends after 2 years, neither of whom is a reliable person to do things with. I miss having actual friends. I miss doing things with people. Instead I spend weekends (and weeknights) at home by myself. Even if I go out and "do something" I do it alone. My family lives on the other side of the country. I'm horribly lonely even after 2 years here, and even though I am one of those people who is happy in my own company.

It's gotten so bad sometimes I think about moving back to freaking Kansas. I at least know people there.

So yeah, having a rough time. Still. I'm a mess: fat, unhappy. In spite of drugs, talk therapy, acupuncture and working out. What else can I do?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hang in there...it has to turn around some time! I'm in a similar situation - working in an area of law that is killing my soul and I moved back to the Bay Area to be near my family a year ago. But I dont have friends up here and I need friends to feel like i'm really living life. I'm hoping that I'll run into someone at the gym and maybe strike up a friendship, or maybe in the grocery store, or at the mall. Why does it have to be so hard to find someone to talk to when you are out of college and law school?!

KK @ Running Through Life said...

The change from law school where you are with your friends daily to the real world is hard. There should be a match.com site to meet friends.