Monday, August 10, 2009

Diet Overhaul

Last week was rough. I really thought I could count my points and eat my vegetables. I failed. But more importantly, my digestive system completely rebelled on me multiple times last week. Let me tell you, there is nothing worse than being out for a walk with your dog and needing a bathroom. NOW. It's very bad. Then the entire contents of my digestive tract are in the toilet and its unpleasant. Sorry if that's TMI.

So the doc thinks its IBS but I've not been successful identifying a trigger food. Until last night. I think, and this is sad, but I think its gluten. The reason I think this is (a) its everywhere; and (b) last night's dinner was a very mild chicken noodle soup and some french bread, and still I went to bed in a most miserable fashion. Last year I had the tests for celiac and those were negative, and I've had food allergy testing, all negative, but my doc points out that food allergies and food intolerances are different, so just cause I'm not allergic to wheat doesn't mean I'm not intolerant to it. Well this discussion was in relation to dairy, but I haven't noticed a dairy trigger, and the point is the same. So effective today, I am gluten free for a couple weeks, to see if I notice a difference. Sigh. This is a complete diet overhaul. No sandwiches, no flour tortillas (thank god for corn tortillas), no pasta (sad). Fortunately, Trader Joes sells a lot of gluten free foods, so I guess we'll be trying these out. But if it helps with my poor unhappy tummy, then I'm willing to do it.

1 comment:

TooMuchPizza said...

told you!!! the gluten got me too... you'll get used to it i promise.