Thursday, October 15, 2009

Exciting Updates

Well, sort of.

Wednesday I went to my new office and had a great day. I met briefly with the seller, and we talked about maybe not doing sale but a partnership instead. We’re letting that idea percolate for a few days, see what it looks like. Regardless, I spent the day working at the office and learned so much. The day flew past. I really enjoyed it and I did absolutely nothing legal. I just listened, and read some files, and generally absorbed. Came home totally pumped to do more. A nice change.

Today I went house hunting. I was not optimistic going in, as the last couple of trips have been sort of…depressing. But the first place I looked at was ok, and I thought, well, if that’s as bad as it gets, I’m ok. And then I drove to stop #2. Its in the Claremont area of Berkeley, backing up into the hills and the forest. Huge houses, huge trees. The landlord was on top of the building with her corgie when I pulled up (with Keedlebug in the car). She had warned me the place was small. I don’t know what she thinks big is, because for Berkeley, the place seemed huge. It’s the ground floor of a house that’s been converted to an in-law. And a slightly girly in-law at that. And it was GORGEOUS. I decided right then I wanted it, and proceeded to cancel my other appointments as soon as I left. We even let the dogs meet and took them for a walk together on the beautiful trail that runs above the neighborhood on a ridge.

Bedroom, bathroom, and a kitchen complete with ¾ size appliances, including a ¾ size dishwasher. The biggest flaw: no laundry. But she said they were considering putting a stackable unit in. In the meantime, it’s a town with a Laundromat on every corner. The funky part of the apartment is that you enter through the bedroom. Small detail. The landlord (Rachel) suggested putting up a folding screen to shield my unmade bed. She said she just knew I was an unmade bed person, and that she is as well. Which I found hilarious. Apparently I look like an unmade bed person. (Off topic: I read once that only true sluts leave their beds unmade.) The other thing is that the kitchen shares the living room space (with beautiful tile floors), so there’s not room for a full dining room table and chairs. There is, however, room for a small bar table, and I already have two barstools.

Could do the screen idea. This one is an option: http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P11464492a.jpg

Or something along those lines.

An alternative, thanks to IKEA Hacker, is to use bookcases or wardrobes.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg9ipZ8-_OL8zj3MS0L46XXjH5klj4TxwOqciHop33C5vvl7OhVPktvl99QRYFzDGxz_ZC8NpShlqBkJpSy7zCk-_Mpzt9jcrqKo5GuhS03aX3ruP6l2x9vzb7OZiOCwyTzNpH9WQ/s1600/t1.jpg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgKCq8t31c9yhpH7pAQLiIja9o8qhoKPyxiWB6q8mlzEdWd787HVrxLVwIlcBq78SLdwDZ3s9BSyF8QL_Nzl1UshrWx7Dc3C-E_vqWiydvo87IEuMrD-U7KkUVKVmZuVHNcbAYNEg/s400/DSC00360.JPG

What do you think? The other furniture in the bedroom is the bed (duh!), and a double dresser. Small bedside table, and probably the cat condo and the dog crate too. J

Here are the pictures of the unit taken by Rachel for the craigslist ad. I failed to take my camera, but I will probably go back up this weekend to measure things to make sure things will fit where I want them to.




What do you think?

1 comment:

KK @ Running Through Life said...

Love it!!! SOOO Pretty! You know, if you move there, we will be closer and can get together! Especially since R and I are in Benicia all the time visiting family! Yay! I am excited for you!!!