Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I Wish

I could write and say I'm feeling better today but I'm just not. Now I'm realizing that by the time someone agrees to interview me, and then maybe a second time, they'll probably just want to wait until November to find out if I passed. And that means not starting work before Dec. 1. Which means no paychecks of any size before the end of the year. Which means I'll be up to my eyeballs in credit card debt. So yeah, I'm not feeling any better.

I had no idea it was going to be this terrible. And if I don't pass, I'll have nowhere to go. No parents to live with, no husband to support me, nothing. So basically I'm miserable. I hate my life. I hate having people who have no idea what I am going through tell me I have options. WHAT OPTIONS? Be a server rather than a hostess? The restaurant is not likely to give me an evening server position with my limited fine dining experience, and lunch servers work 3 hour shifts and make almost no tips. Get a second shitty job that pays $8/hr? Doing what? I have no retail experience. I am worth more than $8 an hour.

Pray that someone calls me soon. Because I am beside myself right now. I cannot handle this. Sure something will work out at some point. But that's not helpful to me right now. And please love my animals if I have to give them to you while I am broke.

4 comments:

Mrs. Cooper said...

Hang in there ... I'm with Christina though ... why not make some decent money doing some temp work? A friend of mine graduated from business school, was in the same situation as you for almost a year looking for a job, and ended up starting at 10 bucks and hour but ended up making like 22 dollars an hour as a temp at some advertising/PR place because *gasp* she actually came to work and ... WORKED! And about 7 months later got a job at Target headquarters up in Minnesota. It's worth a try.

Sarah said...

I've sent my resume to a legal placement agency. They handle both permanent and temp work so maybe something will come out of that. We'll see.

The Once and Future TC said...

(hugs)

Have faith...keep looking, and eventually you'll find the right job for you. I have a friend who didn't have a single bite until last week, and then suddenly three offers flew in her window.

Legal contract work seems to be the path a lot of people take, with a lot of success. It's money and the experience you need to propel you into your perfect job.

Good luck!

feithline said...

The thing about temping is you have to harass them into giving you work. Call today and tell them you're still looking for next week. Call on Wednesday and remind them. Then call Friday morning and Friday afternoon. If they didn't find you anything, call first thing on Monday too.

They'll only find you something demeaning and awful that has nothing to do with law and everything to do with answering phones and sitting very still, but it should pay at least $12/hr and you get to sit down all day. Plus once they trust you, you might get enough privacy to conduct your real job search out of their office. Even if you get caught, they'll still be happy you showed up sober and didn't steal anything.

I would branch out away from just legal placement places too. I have yet to get a job through the legal specialty agencies I registered with, but the regular temp place is constantly desperate for people who can use a computer and own a suit.