Tuesday, October 31, 2006

What Other Things Could I Do With My Degree?

The doctor's office was very kind, and the nurse practioner gave me a scrip for Xanax for my anxiety. Its enough to get me through the next couple of weeks and she said if things don't improve on Nov. 17 (i.e. if I fail and I cannot get a grip) that we can switch to something more appropriate for long-term use. It seems to be helping. I took one last night before bed and then again a couple hours ago. She said to see how I felt on it before I started taking it on days I work.

Now I'm trying to come up with some other steps I can take for myself. I want to find other things to do with my degree if I hate being a lawyer or never get a job being a lawyer. But I don't want to work in politics, which seems to be the other choice around here. At least not right now. The pay is crappy and its just such a hostile environment. The other choice appears to be some sort of fellowship. I applied for one over the summer and then they extended the application deadline so I need to add additional materials if I want to be considered. But now I'm not sure I want to be considered. Its right up my alley in terms of interests but...its in Boston. And I'm not sure how badly I want to move there. It's cold, and I hate moving, especially cross-country.

So who knows at this point? I told myself I was going to make some calls today, try to finagle an interview or two before bar results come out but right now I'm not feeling it. I think first I will go to the gym and work out, and then decide. I'm hoping to get called off from work tonight. We're going to be SLOW and I see no reason to keep two of us on.

4 comments:

The Once and Future TC said...

I saw a bunch of ads in law school for a book about alternative careers for JDs....it might be horrible (more of that, "Hey, you could be a politician!" stuff), but maybe they'd have a copy at your law school's career center that you could check out?

Sarah said...

That's a good thought.

I know that you guys are getting down to the wire on results there in Texas. I'm thinking of you. Hang in there!

The Once and Future TC said...

Thanks!

I think the title was something like "101 Things You Can Do with a J.D." Okay, well, here's one, and here's another.

As for my current state of mind...well...let's just say that if necessary, I do have an escape hatch. :)

feithline said...

I'm v. jealous of your Xanax.

You should do the fellowship application. Which one is it? Boston's not so bad. We have outdoor skating rinks from like November through March. If you're not seeing anyone, you could hook yourself a Harvard doctor/lawyer/MBA and never have to work again (that was my big law school dream.) Your doctor/lawyer/MBA could be a man or a woman, since it's Massachusetts, which doubles your chances. And it's an awesome place to have health problems, with all the research hospitals, not to mention the numerous lucrative research studies. I'm doing one right now for $50/visit.

My top two alternative careers for lawyers: real estate (obviously - although give me a month and I may change my mind) and law school administration. I'd be working in an admissions office somewhere right now if I didn't have this pesky crushing debt.