Saturday, March 03, 2007

I'm Not Dead

I'm employed. And this week I was employed a LOT. I worked late 3 nights and yeah, it means very little time for blogging. Also, I'm moving so I need to spend my free time packing, not that I have done this, but I am about to. I have 4 boxes packed. I may take Friday afternoon off to finish packing and all that before the big Saturday morning move.

Anyhow, work is good. As usual, I'm exhausted from all the learning. This week I went to a mandatory settlement conference (Wednesday's late night) and it lasted all day. But I learned a lot about how these things work. It turns out I'm making more money than I thought I would be, and maybe at my 90 days I'll get a small pay bump. Probably not, but I'll get benefits then.

After my 90 days is up I am going to look at buying a condo or maybe a small house assuming I can find something in my price range, which is very low. And it would likely require one of those hinky mortgage combinations because I don't have $50,000 for a 20% down payment. I don't even have 10%. But because the market is soft right now, there's a lot of decent deals, and the builders are aggressively financing and offering incentives to fill these homes, making it close to comparable in the rent v. buy debate. As we all know, California is one of those places where renting is always cheaper than buying. But if its close then its something to think about.

The big question is going to be whether or not I want to commit to two years in the Roseville area or if I don't want to, am I willing to commute back into Sacramento. So those are all things to think about. I'd guess that the earliest I'd actually make any decisions is mid-summer. In the meantime I'm going to just be diligent about saving and paying off my credit cards to boost my credit score a bit.

I'd better get back to packing. My goal for tonight is to have the entire second bedroom packed and all of my books from the entire house packed as well. I think I'll pack my clothes tomorrow, along with miscellaneous household stuff I can live without till next week. At some point I'll have to pack my dishes and cookware and then I'm reduced to eating out or off of paper plates. So I want to postpone that as long as possible. And of course, I have to pack my tv and all of that. Something else to delay as long as possible.

1 comment:

The Once and Future TC said...

Ooh, I love house hunting. You'll have to keep us posted!