Sunday, April 15, 2007

101 in 1001: Less than a year to go!

The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days (Sunday April 24, 2005 - January 21, 2008).

The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (i.e. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (i.e. represent some amount of work on my part).

Updated list: 4/15/2007 - those I've done, want to do and, now, I am labeling some as unlikely.

  1. Read a great piece of literature I haven’t previously read, something long, maybe The Lord of the Rings.
  2. Go to a winery and stomp grapes with my feet. Unlikely.
  3. Go to a Yankee game. Maybe if they play in the Bay Area this summer I can go.
  4. Go to the beach in California, with friends, in my bikini. Done. 7/24/2005. I was so skinny then compared to now, maybe I should make this a goal for this year too.
  5. Learn to cook tofu in a way which I will eat. Not going to happen. I hate tofu.
  6. Climb Half Dome at Yosemite, which will entail actually learning to hike. Not likely. I was going to substitute in hiking Mount Whitney but I can't go on that hike because of work.
  7. See someone famous while living in LA this summer. Was subsequently modified to see someone famous. Completed, 10/30/05 in Central Park, NYC, where I saw Sting when I was waiting for the race to begin.
  8. Go to Hawaii. Probably not going to happen in the next year, but hey, you never know.
  9. Brush up my French.
  10. Enough to watch Amelie without subtitles.
  11. Own some diamond or other high quality earrings. My mom gave me diamonds for graduation last May.
  12. Purchase at least one additional season of The X Files on DVD.
  13. Go skiing at Whistler-Blackcomb. This seems increasingly unlikely. Where would the funds come from?
  14. Cook all my meals for a week (leftovers are ok, but not frozen foods and no restaurants/fast food, no church suppers, nothing)
  15. Write a letter to the editor on an issue important to me.
  16. Wear my skinny jeans without fearing that the seams will burst.
  17. Get an iPod. Done. Received it last week (10/05). It's brilliant! Now, in 4/07 I am on my second iPod, a new Nano. Even more brilliant!
  18. Buy a pair of heinously expensive jeans that look absolutely fabulous on me.
  19. Fall in love.
  20. Embrace the fact that I’m constantly planning my wedding despite not being the least bit close to actually having a wedding to plan. Actually now I've just decided to give up on getting married. So no marriage = no wedding = no planning.
  21. Get a dog. Done, 1/8/06. Which we all knew. And we know how cute she is!
  22. Go on a vacation (a real one, not to visit family or for a wedding unless family or the wedding happens to be in an exotic location). Nat and I went to Mexico in August 2006 for 5 days. It was great. Warm and relaxing, post bar exam.
  23. Get to my fighting weight of between 115-120 and keep it there. STILL WORKING ON THIS ONE!
  24. Graduate from law school. Done, 5/21/2006.
  25. Find a legal job, a paying one. Done, at long last, January 23, 2oo7.
  26. Learn one cocktail I like well enough to order at a bar and make at home. Done. 8/6/2005. I like mojitos! They are delicious! Special thanks to Nat's friend Betsy for introducing me to the yummy goodness of lime juice, simple syrup, mint and a bit of rum.
  27. Teach a spinning class. Done, beginning late January. Now I teach at least once a week, sometimes more.
  28. Do my own taxes. I watched while my dad did them this year? Does that count?
  29. Do something nice for a stranger (something = pay for their meal in the drive through when they are behind me, give $5 to a homeless person, something like that). Done, 8/26/2005. Elizabeth and I were at the Berkeley Bowl and a homeless woman was selling papers, and I gave her $1 and did not take a paper so she could sell it to someone else.
  30. Buy more bookcases at IKEA (preferably, in West Sac when it opens within the next year). Done, sort of. 9/4/2005. I did not buy them at IKEA as they did not have the shelves, but I did get two new bookcases at the local hardware store.
  31. Pass the bar exam. Done, November 17, 2006
  32. Start to write a novel.
  33. Keep my bedroom floor uncluttered for a full two-week period. Sound easy? You don't know me.
  34. Every night for a week spend 15 minutes cleaning up my apartment.
  35. Take ballet classes again.
  36. Finish (well, start) my scrapbook from the 2002 trip to Europe with Mom.
  37. Own a Coach bag (even if I have to buy it with Westlaw points instead of money). Done, April 2005. This was the first one I checked off my list.
  38. Get a body scrub/polish at the spa. I had a mud wrap at the office spa day. Does that count?
  39. Get a facial. Office spa day!!! 3/31/2007
  40. Get a bottle of vitamins and finish it without missing a single day. Completed 11/20/05. I bought a bottle of 50 vitamins 50 days ago. Now I take 3 vitamins a day, a multi, a C, and a calcium.
  41. Run Bay to Breakers without collapsing (other people have “Run a half marathon” but I’ve already done this). Completed, May 15, 2005. No collapsing involved, except into bed at 9 pm that night.
  42. Purchase one piece of sexy lingerie (even if I don’t use it).
  43. Wear it.
  44. See Avenue Q (preferably on Broadway). Nope.
  45. See Hairspray (ditto). Ditto.
  46. Spend from now until Angela’s wedding on July 9 (2005) exercising 5 times a week, and eating right (see below). This required eating more fruit and vegetables, and I think I did a pretty good job at this. I have started eating a lot of fruit, and I worked out like a madwoman for most of the month of June (and May too). But I did sort of slow down the week before the wedding when I cut my finger badly. And now this week, after the wedding, I barely worked out at all. But I'm resuming my regularly scheduled 5 times a week for the next two weeks for sure.
  47. Eat more fruit every day. This is an ongoing battle.
  48. Eat more vegetables every day. Ditto.
  49. Put another $1000 in my IRA (this can be done in stages, obviously). Done, November 2005 I think. Rick and I moved $4000 into it! $4000 baby! That's 4 times my goal! Or maybe I should have made this "put $1000 of money you've earned into an IRA." Hmmph. I didn't. But I will make that a goal once I have a job.
  50. Go one week (seven whole days) without watching any TV. I feel fairly sure I did this at one point but it was subconscious.
  51. Stop buying Shape at the grocery store and get a subscription to it if I am going to continue to read it. I have done it. Sometimes I browse other people's but I quit reading it and buying it.
  52. Do my Pilates-Yoga DVD every day for 28 days (it promises you’ll see the difference in 28 days). Nope.
  53. Find 3 or 4 Bible verses/readings I enjoy. Nope.
  54. Purchase at least one pair of Adidas running shorts (the kind with the stripes down the side. They’re really cute, but I never can find them in my size or am willing to pay for them but I continue to covet them). Purchased May 14, 2005, along with matching long sleeve pullover and worn on Sunday, May 15, in Bay to Breakers.
  55. Find a second flavor of yogurt I enjoy so when the grocery store is sold out of strawberry I have a second choice). Completed some time ago, I enjoy Berries 'N Cream.
  56. Read the biography of William O. Douglas, former justice on the Supreme Court, that is sitting on my shelf. He was a crazy guy – it’ll be fun!
  57. Read Bonfire of the Vanities, by Tom Wolfe. Done, fall 2006, while I was waiting for bar results. Interesting book.
  58. See Schindler’s List. Done, I think post-bar exam this summer.
  59. See Hotel Rwanda. Saw it. Can't remember when. Own it, actually.
  60. Go to the Getty Museum while in LA this summer. Done. 8/5/2005. Nat and I went on Friday night and saw a Rembrandt exhibit as well as the gardens, and had dinner. It was a beautiful evening, and the Rembrandt exhibit was just the right amount of art - 16 paintings! With audio on 9 of them, and written descriptions for the rest.
  61. Ride my bike everywhere for a week (includes going to the grocery store/church/gym). I did this when I was carless last May (2006) for a week.
  62. Write an advance directive. I do this for a living. Why don't I have one yet?
  63. Grow an herb garden.
  64. Clean out my closet. Done when I moved the last two times.
  65. Clean out the dresser. Done. See above.
  66. Get a new dresser. Done, last weekend, April 6, 2007.
  67. Write (and rewrite) a paper until it is considered suitable to submit for publication.
  68. Put $5 into a slot machine somewhere. See if I win something!
  69. Drink champagne on New Year’s Eve.
  70. Take my old cell phones to Sprint and recycle them. Done, 9/4/2005. I didn't take them to Sprint (because they aren't giving service credits for my phones they are so old), but I put them in the cell phone recycling bin at school.
  71. Do something different with my hair (by different this means, different from what I’m currently doing which is nothing). Doesn’t have to be radical. It could be forking over the dough for some high quality highlights again. DONE, 6/25/05. Expensive highlights procured. 3 blonde shades and a low-light brown to give it depth. Compliments abound from people who have seen them.
  72. Go to Catalina Island.
  73. Figure out how to use the more advanced features on my digital camera (I can point and shoot but the thing does more than that, even records movies in very short clips).
  74. Take a boot camp class again (it gets you in excellent shape).
  75. Read a book of poetry.
  76. Learn a new skill. Does rock climbing count? I did that today .
  77. Read Anna Karenina (all the way through).
  78. Grow some vegetables in a vegetable garden. Spinach and tomatoes are supposed to be easy.
  79. Go to Disneyland.
  80. Get the whistling windshield in my car fixed. I had this done last spring before heading to LA, and it sort of worked and now I am selling the car and its a moot point, right?
  81. Read Jane Austen’s Northanger Abbey.
  82. Read Jane Austen’s Persuasion.
  83. Take a really long bubble bath.
  84. Get a massage. Done, 3/31/2007. Spa day for the office!
  85. Drive a convertible (even if it isn’t my own)
  86. Drive a hybrid (ditto).
  87. Take self-defense again.
  88. Don’t drink soda for two weeks straight (I drink it only on weekends generally but I love it!) See 89.
  89. Make a Lenten sacrifice and actually give it up for all of Lent. Done this year. I gave up soda for all of Lent and did not miss it.
  90. Attend all the services in Holy Week (Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday). This was the last Holy Week where I could have done that and still do it in my 1001 and I didn't. So, nope.
  91. Attend church every Sunday in Advent.
  92. Respond to a personal on Craigslist. Done. Sometime in August 2005, can't recall when exactly. Nothing came of it. But I did it. (Seriously though? The pickings are slim in Craigslist.)
  93. Get a personal trainer for a short period of time.
  94. Get recertified in Spinning (have to do this every two years). Done, October 2006.
  95. Watch Supersize Me. Done, last weekend. Very interesting. Very gross. Never eating McDonalds again. I even went to the bookstore and looked at the book his girlfriend wrote, but decided it was too vegan overkill for me. I am not giving up dairy and meat and everything else. It's too expensive, too complicated and won't taste good. I will, however, endeavor to eat locally and more vegetables.
  96. Read Fast Food Nation.
  97. For an entire week, eat no meat at any meal (this will not be fun and it will probably involve lots of veggie pasta). Done, May 2005. Challenging at times (like when I had to eat cheese instead of pepperoni pizza or when we went out to dinner and I wanted chicken on my pasta!) but successful.
  98. Watch The Lord of the Rings trilogy (after I read the book). You know, I'm not that interested in reading the book, so I'm not likely to watch the movie either.
  99. Run 3 miles in less than 30 minutes. DONE, 7/2/05. 3 miles, 28 minutes and 45 seconds.
  100. Floss every day for a month (right now I’m more of a 2-3 times a week flosser). Started 10/2/05, and I am still doing it, so that's over a month. (Ok so I have since slacked off but I am going to recommit!)
  101. Clean out my fitness magazine collection (tear out articles/workouts I like and put them in a notebook, and throw out everything else) and make a workout notebook where I can keep track of my workouts. I did clean out the collection when I moved. I am not keeping a notebook. I have a running log book but it doesn't have room for weights.

No comments: