Saturday, April 28, 2007

Life As We Know It...Comes to a Screeching Halt

All I have to say is, its a good thing I didn't buy a condo the way the boss was pressuring me to. Do you think I wouldn't have gotten fired if I'd done so? "I'm sorry, you can't fire me because I have a mortgage at your insistence."

Right now, I'm doing fine. I revised my resume yesterday, and looked around online for potential jobs, and there's some in the area in family law, and some in the Bay Area, and then there are jobs in the area that are not in family law but could still be interesting and a possibility. So Monday I'll get a bunch of stuff emailed/faxed out and then I'll start the fun process of following up. Ugh. Maybe it will be easier now that I've had some experience. Also, I think the 90 days I spent in a small firm is much better than 90 days somewhere else in many respects because you do get thrown into the deep end. Client contact, court appearances, etc. I've done a lot in those 3 months.

I'm hopeful that the timing on this is good. February bar results aren't out yet, so I might be able to get through the door of some openings with my bar results and experience before some bar awaiter does (poor bar awaiter, I feel for you in these last few weeks).

The shitty part of all of this is, as always, the money. My loans were just coming out of my unemployment deferment, and my first payment is leaving my bank account in 21 days. I can make this month's payment, but...next month? I fear if I don't find something quickly my financial situation will deteriorate rapidly. Also, I need to find health insurance and decide what to do about that. Mine is about to run out.

Bottom line: I could be much worse off. In a way, I'm glad this happened when it did, it will force me to find something where I will be happier and where I am getting what I need. It might be tough for a few weeks, but in the end, its better to not work for a crazy person.

No comments: