So Heather and I at my office decided we needed a hobby. After considering our various options (cooking, yoga, knitting) we settled on rock climbing. Take note: I have NEVER rock climbed and Heather has done it once. So today off we trotted to the local rock wall. All these little kids are busy scampering up the wall and it looks scary and hard. Heather gets on the wall on route 1. Guy tells me that 2 is available and some people think its easier than 1. So up I go. It is NOT EASIER. It was scary and hard and I only got about halfway. So after my heartrate slowed, I decided to try 1. 1 is easier. But at 3/4 of the way up, I panicked. I didn't know how to go the rest of the way, or where my feet could go and I was shaking. But I managed to calm myself down enough to go all the way, and I rang the bell at the top before I came down. Then I was shaking so hard from all the adrenaline that I felt ill. Heather felt the same way. It was terrible.
Then we tried the batting cages, which were infinitely more satisfying. First of all, we got two free tokens because the nice guy at the front desk said we paid for the rock wall and didn't get to climb that much. Then you get to stand there and hit balls with bats and its very stress relieving. And it makes a nice sound. So I did that for 30 pitches and I felt a little better.
Rock climbing is fun. Don't get me wrong. I want to try it again, but my sister says I need someone guiding me up the wall, because its not fair to make you flounder when you've never done it before. But I'll go back. It felt good to know that I could get to the top, but its also kind of scary. Not because you'll fall and hurt yourself, you can't because you're hooked in. But Christina says you have to learn to trust yourself and let your body do it and that's hard.
So I'm not sure what we're going to do for a hobby now. We enjoyed the batting cages. Maybe someone out there has some other ideas for us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Rock climbing is superfun. My little blog picture is of me climbing up a cliff in Australia. But it is totally freaking scary. The worst part is if you've got to jump off a cliff before you can climb back up it. The human body has amazing self-preservation instincts when you try to fling it into an abyss. But didn't you love that I'm-Tom-Cruise-In-Mission-Impossible feeling you get when you actually scale a wall?
Post a Comment