Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Moving and Jobs!

I don't recall what I posted about my new job. I'll get to it in a minute.

Today I am busy packing and getting estimates from movers. Wow. There is a lot of variation in how much these companies charge. Most of them have quoted me in the $1300 range, but the most recent one said there's a 5000 lb minimum on moves to the Bay Area, so he'd have to charge me for that amount of weight. I feared the worst, but he came in at $1100. And that's for 5000 lbs and I apparently have about 3600-3800 lbs. So I am planning to go with them, assuming they can fit me in.

So far we've packed most of my books and all of my hanging clothes. I've got to buy more boxes this afternoon, and try to get more packed. Tomorrow we're headed over to look for a place to live.

The home is hardest part of moving. In a weird twist of things, apartments are more likely to take dogs than cottages, duplexes and houses. Strange. Hopefully I'll be able to find something I like tomorrow.

So the job. It's family law again. The firm is larger, 8 attorneys including me, plus support staff. It's right in downtown San Jose, and everyone that I met was really cool. I'm really excited about working for them. It meant a big pay raise which is nice (and will help the increased cost of living over there). Anyhow, I'm looking forward to returning to the world of the working stiffs.

No comments: