Saturday, January 31, 2009

Decluttering

With my mom's assistance, I decluttered massively a few weeks ago. Today I set out to finish the task. I took 4 boxes of books to the used bookstore, sorted old financial docs (and shredded until my shredder died), and sifted through piles of childhood memories. I'm trying to corral everything into a few rubber tubs for storage purposes.

One question that has persisted as I do this is what to do with my American Girl doll. Clearly I am not getting rid of her, but I think I'm a little old to have her on display. But I couldn't bear the idea of putting her in a box with misc crap. I thought, you know, I'm finally old enough (and make enough money) to buy that nice storage trunk that American Girl sells for the doll. So I go to the website only to discover American Girl is discontinuing Samantha. Slightly panicking because this means I won't be able to ever own everything Samantha (an old childhood wish, not an active one), and then I couldn't even find the trunk! I searched on eBay and everything was so expensive! Finally, luckily, the American Girl website had the trunk, backordered, but for half of what eBay sellers wanted. So I snatched it up, along with the only other Samantha item they had, her accessories (also backordered). But now I feel as if I can put my doll in the trunk, with the three dresses I have for her, her little shoes, and now her little hat and coin purse, and someday pass the entire trunk to someone else, hopefully a daughter of mine or my sister, or someone equally dear. This doll holds a lot of memories for me. I'm sad that American Girl has chosen to discontinue her. I love how they keep adding new historical dolls, but it saddens me they would discontinue this one. She's one of the originals. Sigh.

Anyhow, in other news, tomorrow is weigh in day. Cross your fingers.

1 comment:

erife97 said...

They're discontinuing Samantha?? What about Molly?! Those were a huge part of my childhood! Good Lord I'm distraught.