Sunday, January 07, 2007

When It Rains, It Pours

In addition to not getting that job, I was rejected from a job that doesn't even require a law degree. And I got a parking ticket! And my manager at the restaurant apparently has a pea-sized brain and cannot recall that I can only work one weeknight. He scheduled me for Monday and Thursday night.

Now see, the thing with the temp job is it pays A LOT more than the restaurant. Twice as much per hour. So when he schedules me I have to leave work early in order to get home, get the dog out and walked, change clothes and get to the restaurant on time. So tomorrow I will have to leave work at 2 in order to be at the restaurant by 4, and that means losing 3 hours at a $16/hr job. And can anyone else work for me? No of course not. I will call tomorrow and speak to whoever is managing and see if I can get out of it because I made it very clear in writing I would work either Wednesday or Thursday night and Saturday night but not any other night.
I should say that as a general rule, my manager is a GREAT guy. Really wonderful. But lately I think that his brain is shorting out from too little sleep and too much brain activity, due to having a new baby in the house. So I try to be kind and understand but really, I cannot afford to leave the temp job early twice a week.

In other news, my apartment is vaccumed for the first time in several weeks. I shredded a huge pile of bills and stuff. I tossed out a stack of junk mail. I filed all of my loan statements and misc stuff like that. I'll do my laundry before bed, at least some of it. I need to fill my gas tank and take clothes to the dry cleaners before work tomorrow. I did go back to spin today, after what felt like an eternity away from it. And I lost .4 lbs this week at Weight Watchers despite a terrible week anxiety-wise. My goal is to keep it all negative numbers for the next couple of weeks, to see actual progress.

So yeah, basically other than a little weight loss, my life continues to suck. I've found some new jobs to apply for, and I'm going to expand my geographic search to include Smog Angeles and the Bay Area. Ugh. With my luck I'll get a job in one of these places before my lease is up here and it will cost me a fortune to move and pay rent in two places or break my lease.

1 comment:

feithline said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear about the jobs. I'm still waiting for the official rejection from my last interview... which they'll probably be too lazy to even send. And how dare they give you a parking ticket in your fragile state??? They towed my car a few weeks ago and I spent the afternoon sobbing in the kitchen over how much it was going to cost to get it back. The unemployed should get special plates that allow us to park all crooked half up on the sidewalk and stuff.