Friday, August 11, 2006

Apartment Hunting

Its been a long week. Apartment hunting, it turns out, is exhausting. First you have to track down every conceivable option in terms of rent, location, pets and whatnot. Then you've got to go look at it. Or at least drive past it. So you look and you look and you look and you find...nothing.

Not nothing exactly. Just nothing I loved that I could afford in a location I loved. So I think I'm going to rent a place I saw on Wednesday. It was nice, the location was good. In terms of my priorities, I'd grade it as follows:
Takes dogs: A+
Location: A- (It's close to downtown, but its not anywhere near where I would like to live. Regardless, its in a neighborhood where I will feel ok walking my dog around at night).
Price: B+/A- It's $950 for a 2 bedroom/1 bath. I considered the 1 bedroom but its smaller than my current place for more money. Not such a bargain. Amenities: A. I wanted a washer and dryer in the unit and it has one. I would have loved a garage but I'll take a carport. Pool, spa, etc. It's an apartment complex. It has stuff.

Overall what is that? A? Yeah. So that's not too bad. It's the only place I looked that had everything I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. The other place in that price range was $890 for a 1 bedroom and no 2 bedroom/1 baths available. Here's what the floorplan is:


At this point, I'm taking it unless something amazing shows up over the weekend. Somehow that seems unlikely. I'll just live here and save my money for when I can buy, hopefully in a year, in my favorite neighborhood. In the meantime, we'll live happily in suburbia.

On the job front I had some promising developments today. I was at a building downtown where I thought I was supposed to be interviewing for a hostessing job (turns out I had the wrong restaurant). Anyhow, I went to the elevator to go get my car from the parking garage, and this man recognizes me, asking me if I go to the Episcopal Church in Davis sometimes. I said yes and we chatted a bit. He asked what I was doing in the building, I told him, mentioned that I had a law degree but I needed work sooner rather than later, and he says, "I run a law firm on the top floor of this building. Do you have a card?" Fortunately, I did have a card (no resume though) and I gave it to him. I was so shocked I'm sure I came across as a real idiot, but I emailed him my resume when I got home and he wrote back, saying he'll see what he can do. Cross your fingers!!!!!

Anyhow, I'm way worn out so I think we might hit the hay pretty early tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I can write about Mexico. Hahaha.

1 comment:

Mrs. Cooper said...

Whoa. That's awesome!