I hate looking for work. It is so incredibly frustrating and demoralizing. Just when I think I'm ok with it, I realize that it's March and I'm graduating in less than 3 months and I really want to have something before then. Because I don't want to be looking during the bar and after the bar I want to be able to get organized to start my new job and move or whatever. Maybe take a damn vacation for a week or two. But its fine. I had a reasonably productive meeting today with Career Services and have some new options to explore so I'm doing that. I registered for a diversity fair in NYC at the end of April. Apparently you post your resume and then if employers want to interview you, they contact you. So if someone contacts me, I'll fly out there. If not, I'll withdraw from the fair. It was free to register so I figured I had nothing to lose.
Keeley is growing like a weed. I know I say that all the time but its really true. She lost a tooth today and has a little hole in her mouth where it was, right in front. Very cute. I think she's almost full grown in height, only another inch or two maybe to go, but she has lots of length and width to go. Hee. From the back she's very tall and skinny. All legs!
School continues to be a frustrating experience. I can barely summon the energy to go to all my classes and still get my effing work done. Plus (back to money again) the miscellaneous bar and graduation expenses are pissing me off. Bar exam : $600+. Graduation: $35 to rent my cap and gown. Borrow a hood, despite a desire to purchase one because to purchase one would be $140. Announcements: $45 for 25! Frame for the diploma: $150. This is just ridiculous. And after they tell us all the expenses for that, they tell us about the class gift. Now I want to give back to King Hall, but right now that's a hard pill to swallow. I get they want to raise $8K as a class and we can totally do that if only half of us give something (last year's class raised $4500 and only 56 people out of nearly 2o0 gave). But still. Money is tight and there are only about a bagillion expenses headed my direction and here they are, asking for money. But its fine too because you can simply pledge to give next year and that counts and I can totally do that. Pledge $50 or something for a year from now? Done. But its annoying to have them basically guilt trip us into it. Sadly, that is how things are going to be at the University of California for a long time to come. Fees have gotten so high, and public support is gone, and now they have to create this culture of giving that exists at other expensive schools. And that takes time. Nearly every alum I meet remembers paying tuition somewhere below $10,000 a year. A lot below in some cases. Like less than $2000 a year. Try persuading these people to give to the school. They have no concept of how expensive it is.
Anyhow, I'm going to bed. Long day. Lots to do before the weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment