Today I decided to buy a baby gift for the secretary in the dean's office, Lisa. Lisa is the most amazing person in the entire law school. Whenever I need something, I go to her. She gives me locker combinations when I forget mine, rooms for meetings, and always makes me laugh. She's having a baby in a few weeks, and Wednesday is her last day. Now she is one of the few remaining people who does not care to know whether she is having a boy or a girl. So off I trotted to purchase a gift.
Normally I go to Marshalls or someplace like that to buy a baby gift because the selection is huge and cheap. But tonight I lacked the hours necessary to drive to Vacaville so instead I decided to peruse the sale rack at Baby Gap. Big mistake. There is hardly any selection of generic/unisex baby clothes. Everything is so gendered. It's the most offensive thing ever. Why do we need to dress our girls in pink and our boys in blue? Why can we not just get them dressed and let them be babies? Oh no. After much digging, I found one yellow striped long sleeve long pant onesie, and a bigger size white onesie with a plaid collar and a little compass on it. The latter is intended for a boy I think, but the plaid is sufficiently muted and generic enough that a girl could wear it.
This stuff is in no way as cute as the stuff I got last year for Mirabai Parnall before she was born. But Dave knew Kelli was having a girl, and it made it infinitely easier to shop. If people wouldn't find out, then more stuff would be made in green and yellow.
It doesn't matter what they wear, people always ask if they are boys or girls anyways! Case in point: Lara tells me that she has had Aoife out in a dress and had someone ask if Aoife was a boy. She's wearing a dress! Lame.
People are lame. Baby Gap is lame. (Except for the fact that they have awesome gift wrap and wrapping accessories, which made the entire trip worth it).
No word on the dog yet. I had a dream that the other family took her home with them. If my dream is right, I will wait for the next litter I think. Or maybe look for a rescue dog next semester. Although I really do want a fluffy puppy.
Gym: 50 min elliptical. I rule. My shins are still sore from Saturday's race. I fear I am not cut out to be a distance runner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You know what else is lame? I'm getting a dog today from the shelter and that's all exciting but Ellie, the Australian Shepherd's foster mom never called us back (I emailed her last Monday). Seriously, if someone wants to adopt the animal you should call them back. But we're getting Willie so who cares?!?
i was 8 years old wearing a dress and somebody thought i was a boy...
Post a Comment