Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Hung Jury

Last night I did my final trial in Trial Practice. I was the defense counsel on a murder case. My client claimed self-defense. The prosecution tried to claim murder, first or second degree. The jury couldn't decide. It was the best thing ever! They weren't 100% convinced on the self-defense, but they didn't buy murder either. I really thought it wouldn't go very well, but I won my motion in limine to have my client's prior criminal history excluded from the trial, and I got a hung jury, so overall I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I was, however, not happy with how late I had to be there. My lab section is only 8 people so we were scheduled to do two trials this week and two in two weeks. But for some reason they added a 3rd trial to our section for last night, and the defense counsel in that case showed up late, and although they were brief, I don't think it was fair to make us all stay late for this case when we didn't know we'd have to stay that late. So we didn't leave the courthouse until almost 10. By the time I drove Amy and Laura home, and stopped at Safeway to get a small bite to eat and some waffles for breakfast, it was nearly 10:30. Which meant bedtime was 11 pm and I am just too sleep needy to do that very much. I feel ok this morning.

Today Amy and I are going to a Women Lawyers of Sacramento luncheon at the Firehouse in Old Sac. Very nice. Filet mignon for lunch. Plus there will be a great speaker.

Tonight I was planning to go to the gym and then go home and do some work but I just got invited to dinner for a friend's birthday. So maybe I'll do that before I do some work. I can fit the gym in before dinner. Hmmm....

No comments: