Friday, June 17, 2005

Because I continue to be baffled by the Tom and Katie situation

I was on the Washington Post's website and they had hosted a live chat with their movie critic re: Tom, Katie and Batman earlier today. I do not know how long this transcript will be available but here are some gems from it.

First:
two points that I find intriguing. One: That Katie Holmes has lost her senses. Who knows how she really feels, but as an outside observer, it certainly seems this way. I've seen her interviewed before and always found her to be a relatively intelligent, down-to-earth young woman. (And I do think she has some talent.) But when I saw her on "Letterman" last week talking about Cruise, she acted like every brain cell she'd ever had was slowly leaking out of her right ear. Love can make you foolish, true, but does it lower your IQ? (And just as an aside, when Letterman asked how she met Tom Cruise, she STILL couldn't explain it. Hello? You guys had several weeks to come up with a story if you don't want to tell the real thing. Or there's always a little thing actors do known as ... I don't know ... improv?)

And...
It fascinates me that Cruise and Holmes seem oblivious to the public backlash, too. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Cruise said he'd heard nothing but positive comments about his Brooke Shields comments and his new relationship. Either they're putting up a front or they are genuinely completely out of touch with the American public. Sadly, it might be the latter.

BWAH!!!
And...
as a colleague wisely pointed out this morning, if you were friends with Katie Holmes and she told you she was marrying someone she'd just started dating a month ago and converting to his religious (all after just breaking off a five-year engagement), you'd be quite concerned about her. Would seem fishy at the least.

Amen.

No comments: